The American Half Quarter Horse Registry offers affordable and timely services including in-depth registration certificates, DNA verification, pedigree research and a variety of beneficial programs and services.
The AHQHR is a non-profit organization located in Proctor, TX—just a stone’s throw away from Stephenville, the Cowboy Capital of the World. AHQHR Members are located throughout North America and span as far as France, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Venezuela and Germany. Our international affiliate members are here to answer your questions and help you regardless of your language.
We look forward to welcoming you and your horses to AHQHR! Feel free to call or email us at any time with questions or concerns and please follow us on Facebook for the latest news and events.
Most Commonly Asked Questions
Why should I register my horse?
- Proof of ownership
- Provides pedigree which shows how the horse is bred
- Provides age verification
- Adds value to your horse
- Creates a record of past ownership and geological whereabouts
- The horse becomes eligible for our “Ride” programs and other annual awards
- Registration certificate is required to show a horse in any futurity, as well as enter him/her in incentive programs, such as Future Fortunes, Mare Power, etc
The qualification for registration is simple: at least one parent must be AQHA or APHA registered, hence the name “Half Quarter Horse Registry”. This one, simple guideline allows us to retain the integrity of the breed while enabling the registration of horses that are possibly turned away from other associations or registries. While we do have many crosses, we also have numerous full-blooded quarter horses. Because AQHA and APHA have several strict guidelines, we receive countless referrals directly from AQHA because they will deny a horse registration for the following reasons:
- The horse is a cross between an AQHA or APHA horse and another breed
- The horse is a cross between an AQHA or APHA horse and an unregistered quarter or paint horse /li>
- The horse is a cross between an AQHA or APHA horse and a quarter or paint horse with lost papers
- The horse is a cross between an AQHA or APHA horse and a registered quarter horse with an international association that AQHA or APHA is not affiliated with
- The horse is a cross between two appendix AQHA horses, resulting in too much thoroughbred blood
- The horse has too much white. AQHA will not accept a horse with white above the hock or knee.
- The horse is a color that AQHA or APHA does not acknowledge or accept
- One or both of the parents is deceased and does not have a DNA verification with AQHA
- While AQHA and APHA will gladly register any qualifying horse, the cost reaches several hundred dollars if the horse is registered at an older age. Our highest registration fees do NOT exceed $80 (standard registration).
We would love to welcome you and horse horses to the AHQHR and if you have questions or would like to discuss your specific situation, please feel free to call our office at (254) 592-7827 and an AHQHR representative will be happy to assist you.
Can I register my full Quarter Horse? What if AQHA denied my registration?
- excessive white on the horse or in areas that AQHA does not approve of
- too much thoroughbred bred back into appendix lines
- lack of DNA for either parent
- horse is older and it is too costly through AQHA
- dispute with breeder or stallion owner
- the horse is a clone
If you have questions or would like to discuss your specific situation, please feel free to call our office at (254) 592-7827 and an AHQHR representative will be happy to assist you.
Does my horse qualify for registration?
- Simple answer: your horse qualifies if a AT LEAST ONE parent (sire and/ or dam) is AQHA or APHA registered (or registered with one of their international affiliates)
- Complex answer: your horse MAY qualify if it is verifiably a MINIMUM of half quarter horse according to pedigree and/ or DNA. (Ex.: your horse may be a cross between two Appaloosas (ApHC) that are each half quarter horse. OR your horse may be a cross between an Appaloosa and a half Arabian each having a sufficient amount of quarter horse in their pedigree. OR you’re horse may be the result of an AHQHR x AHQHR)
- Hardship cases: if your horse does not meet any of the above requirements, you may contact our office to have your horse considered for evaluation. These cases will be presented to our advisory board for approval or disapproval
How much does registration cost?
- Prior to registering any horses, you must be a member of the AHQHR. Membership fees are as follows:
- Individual membership (1 year) ———————————————-$30.00
- Youth membership (1 year), —————————————————$25 .00
- Family or ranch membership (1 year) ————————————-$40.00
- Individual lifetime membership ———————————————$175.00
- Family or ranch lifetime membership————————————-$250.00
- Outside USA, add $15 to membership————————————–$15.00
Registration fees are varied depending on the age of the horse and are priced as follows.
- Colt or filly under 12 months —————————————————$40.00
- 13 to 24 months old——————————————————————$55.00
- 25 to 36 months old——————————————————————$70.00
- 37 to 48 months old——————————————————————$85.00
- 49 months or older——————————————————————$95.00
Additional and Optional Services
- Duplicate or replacement certificate——————————————-$25.00
- Purchase pedigree from AQHA database————————————-$ 5.00 (you must have an exact registered name or number)
- Transfer of ownership—————————————————————-$25.00
- Picture printed on registration certificate————————————$35.00
- Pedigree research (for the parent w/o papers, email for details & price)
- DNA verification (per horse)——————————————————$68.00
- Rush Order—(10 day turnaround)———————————————-$15 .00
What options do I have if I don't know anything about my horse’s sire or dam, or if my horse falls short of the requirements?
- You may opt to purchase a certificate of ownership. This includes current owner, history, age, color, and markings.
- You may DNA register your horse. This is similar to a certificate of ownership, but is tied to a DNA case number for reference.
“BREAKING NEWS….. Brought to you by ARA — On Point Performance ~ an elite money added incentive~ is coming soon!
Registration is AFFORDABLE and SIMPLE with AqHR!
Memberships start at only $40 and registration begins at only $55. Easily customize your certificate with feature photos, enhanced pedgrees, DNA testing, additional testing, and more.